Friday, March 17, 2006

Leaving Home


Hi.
Its my birthday today.
Comments have ranged from simple Happy Birthday to, it is about time I grow up.

Things are hopefully all ready. I leave on Sunday 19th March at 9am for Buenos Aires and land there at a similar time on the same day. Jet lag should not be too difficult and only really effects th sleep patern for two or three days.

There has been a lot of running around, being photographed for the local newspapers. All rock star like. Now where are the funny substances?

The Red Cross Children's hospital is the once again on board as the beneficiery of the expedition. This is a photo being taken for the local newspaper with children of the hospital.
I managed to get Lolo (The Children's Hospital Mascot) back from the very possesive ladies at the Fund raising section and she (Lolo) is coming with on the motor bike trip.
Most may be unaware that Lolo has been around the world on the back of the microlight.

To give an idea of the back ground organising that has been going on these are a few of the items:

Visas I have done home work into the 17 countires that I will be traveling through. Below is a list of these and the visa situation as I understand the situation. I have got the Colombian visa (their embassy was extremely efficient and helpful. Why cant they all be like that?) the other two

SA Visa Required For:

South America
1 Argentina No
2 Uruguay No
3 Brazil No
4 Paraguay No
5 Bolivia Yes On arrival
6 Chile No
7 Peru No
8 Ecuador No
9 Colombia Yes Done
10 Venezuela No

Central America
11 Panama Yes
12 Costa Rica No/Yes ?? Apply at country before
13 El Salvador Yes/No ?? Apply at country before
14 Guatemala No
15 Nicaragua Yes Apply at country before
16 Honduras Yes Apply at country before
17 Mexico No

Motor Bike. Honda South Africa has negotiated with Honda South America for them to assist with the expedition. South America are keen and have said they will help. I have tried to confirm but am still not sure of the details. Hold Thumbs and lets see how things unfold.

Luggage. What luggage? Two pairs of jeans, one shirt, two tee-shirts, 5 pairs of under wear, thermal underwear, down jacket, motorbike jacket, rain suite, polar flease track suit, gloves, Leather hiking boots, tent, sleeping bag, My favourite luxury, a blow up pillow, blow up ground mat, sunglasses, ugly hat in the SA Flag colours. Soap, shaver, tooth brush and paste, hair brush and that is all. Helmet will be bought/borrowed/or otherwise acquired in Buenos Aires.

Medical.Travel clinic has inspected my innoculations and all is still valid. I have taken no anti-malaria drugs and rely on mosquito repellent.

Drivers Licence. I organised this with the Automobile Association (AA) and there seems to be two different ones required.

Insurance. I have found the travel insurance through the AA to be the most comprehensive and cost effective. An additional amount had to be paid because I will be riding a motor bike.

Money. This is generally only a problem if you have any so my problems were small. I have changed a very small amount into small denominations of US $ and the bulk in travelers cheques (bit of an old system but still works). The rest I will draw out of ATM's with a credit card or from an HSBC card that I had opened for the microlight trip. The ATM system is amazing. No hassling with foreign exchange just draw local money from a machine. It does not work on all machines but there is usually one that will accept either card.

Other Items. If there are I have forgotten to do it.

Lets go visit Latin America. Coming with?

Ciao for now.

Ricky

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ricky,
Sorry I missed you on your last trip to Sydney.
Safe travelling on your new adventure.
looking forward to your updates :-)
Cheers,
Len

3:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home