Saturday, May 20, 2006

A quick run down on stats

Lolo, the Red Cross Children's Hospital mascot is still leading us from it's cosy spot behind the bug splattered windscreen. This is not just a silly little doll. It has a history of note. It has been around the world on the back of the microlight.
You should see what it's passport looks like.


20 May 2006
Tapachula
Mexico

The pony is running like it is chasing a fresh bunch of carrots.
IE. It is running very well.
The range of the fuel tank has increased substantially since new. It now gets 280km to a full tank of fuel. (11 litres )
With this I must add that availability of fuel stations has not been a problem. Only once did I nearly run out of fuel and that was in the Atacama desert in Chile. Generally not a good spot to run dry.

The motor bike already has over 15000km and touch wood to date has not given any serious problems. I am really surprised and pleased with its performance.
The fastest I have been able to ride it has been 125km/hr on the flat road. It now happily cruises at 110 to 115 km/hr although it is rare that I have been riding at those speeds because of the winding roads or the trucks and busses.
Add a softer seat and it is a good bike for this trip.

There have been several scary moments of close calls with bad drivers and an occasional dog. The bad drivers have been the biggest safety issue.

A bit of useless info: I have found it entertaining that in each country people warned me to be careful in the next country and the next country turns out to be very similar to the previous one. The people are in many ways similar, warm and welcoming. At times I have felt like I am the bad one in the country.

In Guatemala, a gentleman who hardly spoke English started a conversation with me in a restaurant. We conversed for a while and afterwards he paid my bill. It is difficult for me to accept but I have come to rather accept gracefully and do the same for others.

Ciao
Ricky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home