Monday, March 20, 2006

Javier, Sandra and their son Julian with his royal behindness.

Arriving in Buenos Aires
Day 1
19 March 2006
Distance 0

Things set off to a great start. The flight was over booked and his royal hindness was upgraded to business class. So I flew in style.
It was a beautiful sight as the aeroplane flew passed the front of Table Mountain. I got lost in memories of arriving back in Cape Town from the microlight expedition and seeing almost exactly the same sight.
We landed at Buenos Aires and once in the airport building I got one of those “Aah! What now? Can I go home now?” moments. No reflection on the place just a scary moment and realization of the long journey ahead. 20 000km is twice the straight line distance from Cape Town to London.

It was a reasonably cheap and simple taxi ride to where I will be staying at the Dakar Motos (www.dakarmotos.com.) accommodation in what looks like a quite inner city area. Quite, is probably because as I sit outside the door waiting for Javier and Sandra, it is 3pm on Sunday afternoon, Siesta time. I have been liaising with Javier via email and hopefully he will help me prepare the motor bike with its luggage arrangements, tool kit, spares and puncture kit etc.
The plan is to see the motor bike tomorrow and make arrangements from there. Honda South America is being very helpful and supportive in arranging the motor bike but details have not be finalized so I am not sure what to expect.

I must admit I am feeling nervous.

Adios
Ricky

Travel Tip
Whenever possible I will try and add some comment or detail about the practicalities of the travel arrangements which may be of assistance for when you travel.

For example: On the email side I use the yahoo mailing system because it is very compatabile with most internet systems and what is also great about it, is the huge stroage space. I scan and email copies of important documents like passport etc to my own email address and store it in a folder on the Yahoo system. If I loose something hopefully it will be as simple as getting a copy from an internet cafe.

Good luck with your travels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home