Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Panama Canal








Waiting under the shelter of a local store for the rain to pass. Riding over the Panama Canal


16th May 2006
Somewhere in the Costa Rican jungle
10) Cost Rica

Hi from the land of `Pura Vida` (pure life)

Today was a day of continuously getting lost and then coincidently being on the right road.
Headed out of Panama City wanting to find a good place from which to view the Panama Canal en-route. I rode and asked and asked and got lost and then found a perfect bridge to ride over and view the canal. It turned out to be the road I needed to ride on to get to Costa Rica. Bonus.
Did my photo session while riding and cruised on with the plan of making it as close as possible to the border. The road was good and in no time I was there. Oh well! May as well cross the border and get the &?%$*” paperwork done.
All went smoothly and off I headed for the nearest town because the afternoon rain clouds were looking very pregnant. The nearest town never appeared and after consultation with the locals I found out that I had missed it. The town must have been so small it got hidden behind a bush.
Off to the next town being Cortes. The waters broke and I pulled over, undercover of a local store roof and waited for the rain to stop. The big down pour was over in twenty minutes and I continued. Stopped several times after that for the rain and eventually missed that town too and the next one. Eventually I was besides myself looking for a place to stay and followed some signs promising accommodation, which took me down some dirt roads and then up a huge muddy hill. There was no way of riding back down without the bike sliding and me falling on my &??%$/ so I continued and came out at a bed and breakfast stuck away in the jungle that is run by a French Canadian couple. I have no idea where I am but it is a fantastic spot with the most amazing variety of colourful birds, frogs and interesting goggas.
It is now raining big time and hopefully it will clear up by tomorrow but if it doesn`t …………

Adios
Ricky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home