Monday, April 03, 2006


3 April 2006
Puerto Iguazu
Argentina
Distance 1450 km


The little pony has been working hard lately
Colon was a great stopover. I had dinner at a sidewalk pizzaria and watched people marching past, demonstrating to stop the planned paper mill on the Uruguayan side of the river. Whole families,kids and all, were out there clapping and chanting something. I wish them success.
After Colon I set a big day to try and make it to Posadas on the border of Paraguay. I made it there after 9 and a half grueling hours at 90 km per hour. Except for feeling like I had passed a pineapple, it was not really too bad. Maybe I am still used to it from the microlight trip, putting my nose to the grind stone to get somewhere.
The road was good and I got stopped once by the notorious police I have been warned about. They were so polite, pleasant and smiled at my attempt at Spanish, offered me a brochure on the area and sent me on my way. I hope they are all like that.
The road and countryside was very flat and primarily lush green cattle fields. It was quite obvious why this area is well known for its meat.
After 745 km to Posadas, I landed up in the typically difficult scenario every biker dreads. Being tired, lost and trying to find accommodation in a new town at night.
This morning I rode 315km to Puerto Iguazu which on the Argentinean side of the massive Iguazu waterfalls. Temperatures have increased dramatically. Stopping with the motorbike jacket on is like walking into a sauna.
The countryside has become a lot more hilly and tropical jungle. It is very much like the scenery between Knysna and Natures Valley in South Africa.
Tomorrow I will go and visit the falls and later in the day attempt once more to cross the border into Brazil. This time with a bit more determination.

For those who can understand Spanish check this out http://buscador.lanacion.com.ar/Nota.asp?nota_id=793630&high=sudafricano

Adios
Ricky

Info for motor cyclists passing this way. I am staying at a little hotel with great underground lock up fascilities. Parana Hotel, Ave Brasil,Nro 24.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home