Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Brazil and Paraguay done



5 April 2006

Day 18

3) Brazil and 4) Paraguay

Distance 2000km

Joined the tourists at Iguazu Falls in the Northern tip of Argentina bordering with Brazil and Paraguay. The falls are massive and impressive. It makes Victoria falls seem like a baby.

Later that day I rode across the border into Brazil. How it worked out was by me employing a "proffessional". There is so much tourist and locals crossing the border that it was relatively easy for someone who knew someone to ride my bike across with me as the passanger.

Spent the rest of the day and evening touring the Brazilian town Foz De Iguazu and left early this morning into Paraguay. The weather was good and I sat back leaning against my backpack and thought "What a great day to be riding a bike across Paraguay" while watching an old man riding his ox drawn old wooden cart. Well that chilled out sentiment did not last long. The notorius Paraguayian police stopped me and then again and so it went right across Paraguay. The costs for Paraguay look like this. Fuel $10, Police $70. My negotiation skills had better improve or the budget is not going to make it.

When I got onto the Argentinian side of the border the first police check stopped me. I got off the bike, pass him my passport and relate documents and sat down on the pavement with my head in my hands. He smiled in an understanding way and offered me a cigarette. I smiled back and politely rejected his offer and said I would like to wait a while. He was very pleasant and gave me no hassles.

I am now in Formosa where Honda has arranged an agent to service the bike tomorrow. So I will stay put and prepare for the long ride across to Chile.

Adios Ricky

1 Comments:

Blogger flythefalls said...

Hello Ricky, excellent to see you on your way, enjoying watching your progress.

Best regards
Mark B.

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home