Friday, April 14, 2006

On Top of the Andes
















Top: Made it to the top of the Andes
Bottom: Local Mountain kids


13 April 2006
Jama (Very High in Andes Mountains)
Argentina
Day 27
Distance 3600km


Occassionally Alan and I would call each other on the radio and say “What have we done to deserve this?” Well today was one of those days I asked myself that question a few times.
At one point it took me 2 hours to ride 50km. I rode up the pass from Purcamarma which climbs from 7000 feet to 13500 feet in a 45 km distance and around each bend I had to stop to take yet another absolute perfect photo. And so two hours disappeared watching jaw dropping scenery pass by.
High in the mountains is a village called Suesques which dates back to the early Conquestadors with the original church still standing since 1598. It was a short refuel stop and met some interesting Argentinians heading to Chile for the Easter Weekend.
The terrain was semi-desert with snow capped mountain peaks as a backdrop and stretches across to a high plateau which becomes the brilliantly white massive “Salina Grande” (salt pan).
It’s difficult to describe the thrill and excitement I felt riding through the incredible ever changing scenery in the area. I felt like I must be amongst the luckiest people around and questioned “Why don’t more people do this?”
I rode onto the pan to visit the local inhabitants making salt bricks, ornaments and pure salt. It was tempting to continuing riding out of sight across the vast pan and camp the night but have been warned about drastic temperature change at night and rather continued on to Jama, the border post with Chile.


Adios
Ricky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home